Thursday 6 January 2011

Rain and Promises

I popped into the kitchen thinking about eating, looked out of the window to see rain sheeting
Damn rain falling in buckets and I've promised myself I'll ride today to all of my meetings
It's not that little rain, like yesterday's drizzle it's sloshing and soaking with big heavy drops
Its constant, heavy, cold, relentless and uninviting, it seems endless, never wanting to stop

So I procrastinate with style, by washing the pots, and making my bed, the list never stops
I put on a wash of clothes and shower then shave and begin to dread my promise a lot
That's it I have things to do, best get on the bike, but first some prep to make it alright
I'm sure I have sallopettes hidden in the wardrobe, and small sealable bags that are airtight

My precious stuff protected, wallet, watch, mobile phone, I'm nearly ready to abandon home
Slip on thermals and warm extra layers, my clear cycle glasses the really dull dayer's
Then it's off like an idiot, into the rain, it freezes my fingers, numbs my nose and my brain
There's nothing like a puncture to let you down, seven K from a repair kit you left at home

I still rode fifteen K which will do me fine, can't wait to get warm and dry back at mine
The rain stops as I get home it's always the way, my mind has defrosted and pops up to say
"Quick running kit on, as the rain has now gone, a very good reason to get this run done"
Five K on the track then back for a bath, its days like today, guess you just have to laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment